4/1/10

A napkin, a donut and a bit of bling

A friend who is hosting a bridal shower asked me to create a necklace for her, and, for guidance, gave me this napkin in the bride’s spring wedding colors. Since my friend is going to be awash in the coral color, I decided to concentrate on the greens, neutrals and black.


She loves the seed beads in my jewelry, but is not fond of the bead-woven look, so I had a rare opportunity to do some stringing. After looking through several magazines, she chose a Julia Zaccaria pattern from Step by Step Beads. I already had a donut made of picture jasper that was just the right blend of warm browns and creams with a touch of black and gold. For the seed bead strands I chose a cream-lined khaki, a gold-lined beige and a bead soup of moss and sage with a little copper tossed in.


Armed with the donut, my sample strands, and a budget, I headed out in search of some beads to finish the design. Since I work almost exclusively in silver, it was nice to search out gold tones. If my growing stack of fashion and department store catalogues (waiting patiently to be turned into paper beads) is any indication, gold tones are making a comeback this spring. I added some gold-foiled Venetian lampworked beads flecked with the napkin's greens and browns and a touch of olivine crystals to give the finished necklace what I think will be just the right amount of sparkle. I hope she likes it!

No comments:

Post a Comment