10/25/12

A Time to (St. Petersburg) Stitch


Thanks so much to Therese Frank and Christine Altmiller for sponsoring another blog hop, and for challenging us with right-angle weave and St. Petersburg chain. I’ve been wanting to learn St. Petersburg stitch forever, but just never set aside the time. When I saw their challenge pop up in my reader, I knew the time had come!

I also knew I wanted to make something casual. More than any other season, I tend toward a uniform in Fall – long-sleeve white tee, dark jeans, and a pair of Naots. If I have an outside meeting, I change into a white shirt and low heels, and can go from bead table to door in ten minutes! I needed an everyday accessory to brighten up my look, wherever I’m spending my day.

After watching a couple of online tutorials, it seemed that St. Petersburg stitch could be adapted to a wide range of beads for many different looks. After several experiments, I decided a single St. Petersburg chain stitched with 1.8mm cubes and a mix of 4mm firepolish beads would keep the look casual, while giving my necklace  a slightly chunky drape and enough visual weight for a bronze Saki pendant.

This stitch is easy to grasp after the first few rows, is really fun and relaxing to do, works up very quickly and I am so happy with the results! My necklace brings lots of color to crisp white, and looks great against dark colors – like this morning, when I left the house at 7:00 and threw on the other staple of my Fall wardrobe – my warm black cardigan.
Thanks again, Therese and Christine – I’ve already started a second St. Petersburg project, and may have found my new favorite stitch!
There are two dozen beaders who took up Therese and Christine’s challenge – click on the list below - you'll want to savor the work of each one.





24 comments:

  1. Those 4mm beads really make a statement. It lays beautifully. Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - that's a stunning creation! I love it - I've never seen St. Petersburg done with the larger beads, and it's really cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beauty! really like the use of color through out and that the bead chain really looks so fluid with the bronze pendant

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous!!! The colors and the design and the ability to learn something new and change it up right away. A white shirt and jeans are all that is needed when you are wearing this. No one will notice anything else :-) The focal is just fantastic! Now that I am comfortable with it too, it will be my "go to" stitch for a while. Thanks for hopping with us Karin! I love to see what you have going on here at Backstory.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm just so impressed with this necklace and your St. Petersburg design. The various colors with the gold looks just breathtaking!!! Absolutely beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok, to borrow a word from my English friends...I'm totally gobsmacked! I've always thought of St. Pete as a delicate stitch, and I'm thrilled to see what you created with it! I'm so excited, I can't wait to go try it with some cubes now. This is what I love about these hops, the inspiration that comes. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohhhhh I love how you used cubes to enhance the substance of the piece! I am totally going to have to try that sometime! Thank you so much for inspiring me! Your necklace turned out fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok your St Petersburg is awesome! Oh I love it and really really need to make a necklace. The focal really makes the piece!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't believe how much the use of all those beautiful colors enhances the St. Peteburg Stitch! WOW! Against the white background the necklace really pops!! Beautifully done!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Karin,
    Thank you for joining in on mine and Christine's challenge. Oh wow your necklace using the St. Petersburg stitch is gorgeous! I love your design and the choice of colors and beads, awesome work! I hope that you will join in on the next ATTS challenge.
    Therese

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just adore this. I love the little cubes .. they give such a different look to the necklace and work so well with the pendant and the firepolished beads. This is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love that yours looks so different than the usual chain. Really beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your necklace. The pendant is beautiful with the beading.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a gorgeous combination of colors and textures! As always, you work made my mouth drop open...love how you incorporated the center focal!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! I love what you did with St. Petersburg stitch. A beautiful necklace that works so well with the pendant you chose. Wonderful work ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. What fun! That will definitely brighten up pretty much any look. What a great idea, adding the fire-polished beads along the bottom edge - they really add to the look!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I LOVE color so using the multi color stone is a stunning addition. You really scored on this piece and the focal adds a touch of glam yet remains casual. Very Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Holy smokes! I knew you would come up with something fabulous and you did! Just stunning!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love your use of beads on St. Pete - it is a stunning piece!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Absolutely beautiful necklace!!! So elegant. You did a wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your necklace is stunning Karin!!! I love all the colors you used ... so very classy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful necklace! The coloured beads really give a pop of colour on the neutral outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love this SO much I must make one for myself. Do you remember what quantities of cubes & 4mm beads you used? I know it has been a while. Thanks. Cherie

    ReplyDelete