6/17/14

A Time to Stitch Five - Reveal

Blues are slated to be big this Fall, and I love the shades Pantone includes in their Fall Color Report, especially when paired with the trendy neutral, Aluminum.



Classic blues and silver-grays were the colors I chose to work with for today's A Time to Stitch Challenge hosted by Christine Altmiller and Therese Frank. Our challenge was to take one stitch and make three designs with it, changing up the beads in each - either the size, color, shape or finish. The purpose of our exercise was to observe how bead choices affect the overall character of the design.




My stitch for this challenge is right angle weave and the design is the very chic O. Mosaic Cuff from Rachel Nelson Smith's Seed Bead Fusion. My first cuff is five rows wide in blue pewter and sterling silver size 15 Japanese charlottes. Bright Cobalt is the star of this cuff with accents of the not-quite-gray, not-quite silver Aluminum. Light and delicate, the cut surfaces of the charlottes shimmer metallic on the wrist and give this cuff a definite special-occasion quality. Rachel offers several design options for the cuff and I took this one directly from the pages of her book.


Still the O. Mosaic pattern, but for my second piece, I came up with my own design variation. Color blocking and round size 11 seed beads make this version instantly more casual. I went bi-tonal with the Aluminum, weaving in a matte and a metallic shade with the classic blue. At four rows wide, it's the same width as the charlotte version, but the slightly larger beads, smooth surfaces, and combination of finishes make this cuff appear much heavier.


I'm just starting my third design. At three rows of size 15's, it will be a skinny version. The blue is royal, the silver-gray is understated, and I think the minimal matte-metallic gold is really going to pop!

This has been a fun and very enlightening exploration of bead choices and how they impact the finished design. Many thanks to Christine and Therese for continuing to challenge all of us. (I, for one, am hoping there will be more!) I hope you'll have time to check out the work of all the participating designers:

Hosts:

Participants


21 comments:

  1. I always know you're going to make something jaw-dropping, but these really are show stoppers! What a gorgeous pattern. And the colors are lovely and elegant, even if the second bracelet is a little more casual. Can't wait to see the version in 15s!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow...
    I love all the element...beautiful and elegant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool pieces...and I have that book...just a newbie still with bead weaving. My goal this year (cough, cough) is to really learn these stitches..(after I get moved, again, and settled...) Great job though, I do love the colors...and I was scrolling and your idea to document so you can price is right on target...will have to something like that!

    veradesigns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. That book is on my wish list, and just moved up in priority! I love the pattern, and your variation is awesome. I wish I could hold these in person, I'm sure they feel wonderful. Your color choices are just perfect, and I can't wait to see that third piece worked up! Awesome job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You picked a beautiful pattern to make....that first one is just beautiful...yes it is elegant. The beads for the second one tell a different story...it is so lovely....I can't wait to see the third one!! Hope you will share it when it is done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. what gorgeous bracelets! I love the design and I love where you took it. I like both versions

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Karin,
    Wow you never cease to blow my mind with your creations, I bow down to your talents! The two finished cuffs are gorgeous! I love that you gave us a lesson in color choices. How the variations change the whole look of the piece even though it is the same design. I am going to have to check Rachel Nelson Smith's book out and have a go at this design. Thank you for participating in this go around of ATTS it is always a true pleasure to see your pieces. As you requested ATTS 6 is just around the corner and we are going to be kicking it up a notch on the challenge scale.
    Therese

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh I LOVE, LOVE this bracelet! I need to try this pattern!! it just beautiful, and stunning .. and I'm out of adjectives - LOL. I bet this looks fantastic on (I found another adjective :) )

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stunning cuffs, the colors you chose are absolutely fantastic. I love them all.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those are two amazing cuffs! I can't wait to see how the 3rd one comes out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the pattern you chose ... your bracelets are gorgeous! I am a bit partial to the first one as cut charlottes make my creative heart go pitter patter! The colors are fabulous too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your bracelets! I love Rachel's designs and you've used then so effectively. Your colors are so sophisticated! Thanks for stopping by my blog and for your comment!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a stunningly beautiful pattern! It looks challenging and time consuming, but oh so worth it. Your bead colors are strong and lovely. And while this seems like such an elegant and substantial bracelet, it seems like it can be an everyday one as well. I just love these, Karin! Ever time I stop here, I get excited! By something I am seeing in your last photo, I think you are going to be pleased with what we are doing with A Time To Stitch 6 ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow Karin!! Exquisite bracelets. Love how you varied the original with color blocking and round beads. It is always a treat to see what you have made!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You make me drool over your designs! So so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your bracelets!!! I'm going to have to get this book! Can't wait to see your 3rd one!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your designs are gorgeous!..I'm drooling, too! The color combinations are so elegant.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Karin, Wow! These sure are showstoppers. I love the color palette (blues are one of my favorite colors) and the "O" pattern in so elegant! Can't wait to see the third one!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. i love working with beads , i made so designs on my own but i wish a can make this one , as see as a hobbie , i think is fantastic and i love that all my bracelets were made by me

    ReplyDelete
  20. i love working with beads , i made so designs on my own but i wish a can make this one , as see as a hobbie , i think is fantastic and i love that all my bracelets were made by me

    ReplyDelete