9/15/12

The Shape of Water

Human nature is like water. It takes the shape of its container. – Wallace Stephens

While I worked on this necklace, I was listening to Laura Hillenbrand’s book, Unbroken, where Wallace Stephens’ quote is certainly borne out as three downed World War II airmen drift 2,000 miles across the Pacific Ocean in a 2-person canvas and rubber raft.  Water is practically a character, both giving and taking life in Hillenbrand’s epic tale.

Which brings me to the water focal, the second of four focals I received from Beth and Evie McCord of EB Bead and Metalworks. I wanted to use it as the centerpiece in a statement necklace to wear this upcoming season, something with dramatic drape in a face-framing length. I chose Swarovski pearls, graduated in size (from 6-10mm) and in shades of blue (from inky night blue to sparkling light blue.)
I wore it to a meeting yesterday with an open-neck white shirt and black slacks. I can see it work very casually with a chambray shirt or a square neck tee, or elegantly with a sheath dress and sweater. No earrings or bracelets required!

10 comments:

  1. P.S. I read the book this summer too. What an amazing story and experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh Karin that necklace is GORGEOUS! It just takes my breath away. I can't wait to show mom!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is like something you would find in a high end gallery. Wow. I love the metal that EB Metalworks does so you had a beautiful focal to work with. What you did with it design wise is very stunning as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW - that is so beautiful! I love your design!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Karin, your necklace is spectacular! I love your design and the colors choice is great.
    Therese

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous! And was anyone able to concentrate on the meeting topic, or did they just spend the time staring at your necklace? I really like how you shaped it around the pendant.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stunning! The necklace shape and colors are perfect, and frame the focal beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi:
    Lovely necklace!Very unique design and fantastic colors.Ideally fitted focal.
    Warm Greetings-Halinka-

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful! I love your subtle color shading. And how it splits to flow around your focal - like water! :)

    ReplyDelete