5/14/10

Triple Crown Cuff


Transplanted Kentuckians, we are loyally glued to our television at 5:00 on the first Saturday in May for the run-up to the Kentucky Derby where you get to see great horses and watch profiles of the world-renowned horsemen and trainers who’ve brought these beautiful thoroughbreds to this day. I still get chills as I raise my silver mint julep cup to the first strains of “My Old Kentucky Home.” This year, I balanced my bead tray on my lap while I watched the race coverage, and made some strides on my Sherry Serafini embroidered cuff.

After cheering Calvin Borel and Super Saver through the finish line, I’ve renamed Sherry’s design the Triple Crown Cuff. It’s been 32 years since we’ve seen a single horse win the Derby, Preakness and Belmont Stakes. A confident Calvin predicted he’d do it this year aboard Super Saver.

I’ve finally finished the cuff. (It’s versatile and with its trio of vintage cabs surrounded by rhinestone chain and pearls, just a tad showy, like Calvin Borel’s mount!) I’ll be wearing it for luck when I turn my attention to Baltimore and the Preakness Stakes tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Ooooh! I love this cuff! I have some rhinestone cup chain and have been considering using it on an embroidered piece - I think I just found my inspiration to actually do it - Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete