3/3/10

Spinner Rims...Reimagined

Who hasn’t been moved (haunted?) by the photos still emerging from Haiti? When I decided to donate my profits from an already scheduled April trunk show to the relief effort, I wanted to find an earring design to communicate my new theme. Virginia Jensen’s Spinner Rims from the October 2009 issue of Bead and Button immediately came to mind. They’re dynamic, expressive, and the combination of cabochon, cube beads, three colors of 15 seed beads, and delicas suggests forward movement— just what I was looking for - my Hope for Haiti earrings! I contacted Virginia, and she graciously gave me permission to feature and sell her design at the show.

The pattern is a unique variation of herringbone stitch finished with tubular peyote. (Virginia's design has really broadened the way I think of herringbone. And cube beads.) The finished earrings glow with optimism in any color palette I dream up. I wore an aloe green and chocolate brown pair on a visit to my favorite Atlanta bead store last month, and the staff at the counter went crazy over them – even sent another employee off to search for their Bead and Button back issues so they could stitch up their own. I’ve made nearly two dozen pair and have posted some of my favorite color combinations below.

No comments:

Post a Comment