2/4/10

Trend Setting Color

In my quest to understand color theory as it relates to jewelry design, I have read everything by Margie Deeb and am currently poring over the beaded colorways of Beverly Ash Gilbert. Pantone is another great source for finding out the up and coming colors in fashion. The undisputed leader in color forecasting announced that the 2010 Color of the Year is turquoise.

Although the designers at Pantone assure us that this is a color most people respond to favorably, it has never made my list of favorites…turquoise always transports me back to our 1950’s GE kitchen. Metal cabinets. Blue oven. Turquoise and yellow everywhere!


I decided to give this color a second look, and discovered that I like it! I paired turquoise Swarovski crystals with bronze pearls and varying shades of metallic bronze seed beads in this earring design. The pattern is by Ann Benson at Beads East. Pantone suggests this versatile shade goes well with all colors in the spectrum, translating equally well in fashion and interiors. I tried the earrings with all the dominant colors in my wardrobe: turquoise and brown (perfect, like sea meeting sand!), turquoise and red (amazing!) turquoise and black (very cool!) turquoise and any shade of green (sophisticated!) turquoise and navy (stunning!). Makes me want to redecorate my rooms…well, maybe not the kitchen!

1 comment:

  1. Karin, I love the earrings. When can I come see what you are doing?

    ReplyDelete