2/16/10

Fat Tuesday Feasting

I had the best lunch today, courtesy of last night’s leftovers. After recovering from a two-day stomach flu, I wanted something light and comforting for dinner. When I want comfort food, I reach for my “Eat, Drink and Be Chinaberry” cookbook. Claire Regan’s Spinach Pie with a simple salad fit the bill. This afternoon, I tucked a warmed slice of last night’s spinach pie into a whole wheat pita and added a handful of romaine tossed with a splash of balsamic vinegar dressing. So simple. Lightening fast. Wickedly good!

I checked Chinaberry’s website, and their cookbook, compiled from the best dishes submitted by family and friends, is no longer available, so here’s the recipe.

Claire Regan’s Spinach Pie with Muenster Crust

¾ pound sliced Muenster cheese
1 cup lowfat cottage cheese
3 10-ounce packages frozen spinach, cooked and drained well
(I use 2 packages of Cascadian Farm’s organic cut spinach, and I thaw, not cook it, before adding)
3 eggs, beaten
1 small onion, chopped
1/3 cup grated parmesan or less, to taste
Dill and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Line an ungreased 10” pie plate with overlapping slices of cheese. Cover the bottom of the pan and ¾ way up the sides. Combine cooked and drained spinach with cottage cheese, eggs, onion, parmesan, dill and pepper. Place in pie plate. Cook in 350° oven for one hour. Allow to stand 5 minutes before slicing. (I find an hour is too long. Check at 45 minutes.)

No comments:

Post a Comment