3/23/11

BTW - Celebrating Jane Eyre...

Who was, herself, a beader it seems…


I wish to think only of the work I have in my hands, to see only the silver beads and silk threads that lie in my lap.


I revisited Jane Eyre in preparation for the latest remake of the movie, due in my city this week-end. The book packs a passionate punch, no matter the age of the reader. I first read Jane Eyre in high school (didn’t we all?), again in my 30’s, and just closed the cover on my third reading last night.


The above quote is from a pivotal point in the novel, when Rochester returns home to Thornfield Hall from a lengthy absence, and should surely be included in the movie version. You can bet I’ll be searching the scene for Jane’s beads!



To celebrate the moment, I’m finishing this ornate brooch. The design, one of Cynthia Rutledge’s, predates Jane’s time a bit, but still, in the book, the female characters’ shoulders are bare and necklines are unadorned, with the brooch appearing as a wardrobe mainstay.

Fast forward to this fashion season, and designers seem to again be making a big deal out of this small accessory!

It's Bead Table Wednesday! Click the link to the right to see what other folks are thinking about and working on.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I LOVE everything about this: most importantly, your brooch--gorgeous. But, Jane Eyre is one of my very favorite books to teach and I am dying to see the movie. LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete