7/6/10

Friendship Bracelet


I love this bracelet. But I’m not keeping it. It is boxed, wrapped and addressed to my best friend, Carol. Our friendship, going on 25 years, began when Carol interviewed me for a job, and recommended my hiring, even though she thought I dressed like a nun, and would probably be no fun at all! (It was 1985. Didn’t everyone consider the navy blue suit/white blouse as standard dress code for interviews?)

We worked in adjoining offices for several years, our friendship evolving beyond the ordinary. She is “Aunt Carol” to my kids. I moved on to a new job, and our daily conversations turned to weekly lunches; and now that I’ve moved 500 miles away, we only see each other 2-3 times a year. But when we do get together, it’s guaranteed we’ll have more fun than should be legal!

The bracelet design is Cynthia Rutledge’s Cascading Links, from Beadwork’s December 2009 issue. I knew it was perfect for Carol the moment I saw it, and Cynthia graciously helped me pick out the jewel-toned rose and amethyst stones when I met her that same month at a class in Atlanta. It’s a truly elegant design, each link serving as a stage for the brilliance of the gemstones. Tomorrow, it will be on its way to Carol - a little bit of bling to hopefully, brighten her day!

No comments:

Post a Comment