3/30/12

March BJP - Mad Men Edition

A kitchen remodel begun in February has expanded to a complete first-floor renovation, leaving precious little time for anything else. I did safeguard two things on my calendar - watching the Season 5 premiere of Mad Men and making my March Bead Journal deadline. Happily, I was able to combine the two!

This month's project takes its colors from a wonderful image of Mad Men's Betty Draper in her "sad clown" party dress, which she wore for days after a particularly dreadful row with husband, Don. (The image is from illustrator, Dyna Moe. You can see her set of Mad Men illustrations here.) I turned the colors into a fun, just-a-hint-of-psychedelia, mid-sixties swatch. I could see Betty wearing this pattern as a fitted blouse with some city shorts and a mod clutch, martini in hand, this season.

And finally, last Sunday, the Season 5 premiere! Was it worth the year-and-a-half wait to ogle the enthralling costumes of the men and women of Mad Men? Absolutely!

9 comments:

  1. Nice piece, and I love the story behind it. Fun post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool retro looking piece nice job.
    Therese

    ReplyDelete
  3. This piece almost has the look of an animal print, but yet it doesn't - really nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a very clever interpetation of the costume. Nice use of color and line.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun piece! I love the retro look of it and the colors are dynamite!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great piece! What a fun idea for your inspiration!
    Marty S
    Crackpot Beader

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is really cool! I love abstract - will it be a pendant? Great colors for matching beads with!

    And the season premier of Mad Men had some laugh-out-loud moments. But Betty has turned into a wasted character, IMO. I really dread her scenes now. Used to love her interactions with Don, She and Henry are just sad. And don't get me started on the "Betti is fat now" plot. That body double in the bathroom and the weird editing were ridiculous. The cut from the overweight body double to January Jones' thin face was a real WTF moment for me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're so right about Betty and Henry! Between the 60 Minutes expose on sugar, and that final scene with Betty and the sundaes, I'm thinking of joining you and switching to Diet Cokes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love how you find inspiration everywhere!

    ReplyDelete